Wednesday, September 28, 2011

銀魂(ぎんたま)

Hi guys!

It's really been a busy week this week! (and last week...and the week before...) It's my final semester as a master student (and very likely the final semester of my student life), so I kind of decided (unconsciously) to make good use of it  by registering a lot of courses in and outside of my department. The result is that I'm running around so much, having classes, studying at libraries...I feel like I can almost make this sentence come true:わたしは にじゅうよじかんにべんきょうします。lol

Well well, let's complain no more and light  up the mood :-)

So I've been watching this Japanese animation , 銀魂(ぎんたま), since this summer. My boyfriend is a huge Japanese animation fan and this is his favorite. I didn't really get the enthusiasm because I don't like the way characters 'shout' at each other in Japanese animation, but then a very good friend of mine recommended it to me, too. Then I decided to try it out - it's always good to expose oneself in the language environment to get the feeling of it.

Anyway, ぎんたま is about a  guy nicknamed ぎんちゃんwho used to be a samurai(侍、さむらい) but not any more, because his city has been occupied by aliens. However he still has the 'samurai's soul'(魂、たま) and secretively helps other people in need. Sounds inspiring, isn't it? It is, but with all the inspiring stories we hear every day, doesn't that make you bored? Well, let me tell you some other things about this guy: he has silver-colored, curly hair (actually ぎん means silver); he never pays his rent nor pays any salary to his two teenager employees; he loves desserts, never eats anything else and has this big, wooden tablet hung on his wall with the kanji 糖分(sugar) on it... He's not a 'hero' in the conventional sense, instead he's just someone like us, with a 'samurai's soul' inside.

I've written a lot about this show, but it feels like only a fraction of the whole story. You'll get it when you watch it. Do I love it? Well honestly,not a huge fan yet. I only really love it when the episode I'm watching really funny. My point is that watching it is relaxing and it helps me learn Japanese. There are other TV series that I love, like 'Love Sory in Tokyo', that I'd definitely watch from the beginning to the end and (hold a roll of paper tissue in my hand and cry to the sad ending, yeah I'm soooo that kinda girl), I guess I'm just not that much of a animation fan after all.

But I think I'll stick to 銀魂 for the time being, because my schedule only allows me to watch one peisode a day at most (only 20 minutes). Maybe, I'm just saying maybe, I'll love it one day and finish all 220 episodes...hahaha

Good night!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Xu-san. I like anime, but I have never watched Gintama but I'm glad that you are enjoying it. I enjoy watching dramas too. Have you ever watched Boys Over Flowers. It started as a Japnanese manga, then it was made into anime, then into a Japanese drama, and then a Korean drama (and there might be other versions). I have only seen the Korean drama but it is my favorite. I do the same thing with the tissues and crying, so I know how you feel. I think you would enjoy it, so when you have time you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching shows really does help doesn't it? I watched Totoro recently and loved being able to pick up on a lot of the words. When we are done with this class I will be making sure to go back and watch the childhood movies that I loved to see how much my Japanese has improved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. わたしも にじゅうよじかんにべんきょうします, haha. I suppose this is the curse (or great excitement, depending on how one thinks about it) of being a graduate student.

    I have never seen any anime shows, but am inspired to check out what I've been missing (and ぎんたま sounds like a good place to start!). I have some friends from college who were really into OnePiece, but I don't know much about it other than the title.

    As for Chinese music...it's so hard to pick a favorite band or song. I'm pretty well versed in 周杰伦, and am also pretty into Cold Fairyland, as well as some older music from the 80s (like 崔健). I also like 嚴爵 and Magic Power (from Taiwan). Among my new favorite pop obsessions is 不按牌理出牌, by Magic Power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpyn7ojWlw.This song is also the theme song for a really entertaining Taiwanese TV drama from this past summer, called 醉後決定愛上你.

    ReplyDelete
  4. おはいよございます!Thank you for your comments. I don't know if I see you in my language lab class now because I switched out... I also never understood the culture of anime-lovers, but I appreciate your willingness to try it out. Maybe one day I will try it out too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I'll definitely check them out! Let me know if there are any other interesting dramas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. こんにちは

    わたしほ Sidhuです どぞ よるしく

    プリンストんの だいがくせいです。わたしは いちねんせです。

    I love watching Japanese animation because I feel as though the characters have so much enthusiasm. I think that's why they "shout" at each other. At first I didn't understand why they did that either, but through watching more animus and dramas I realized that the Japanese express their emotions through the way they say different phrases. I know when speaking english my emotions don't come through at all. I hope to speak like this that way I can "sound" more Japanese. I think it will come through practicing pitch and intonation.

    じゃあ また

    ReplyDelete
  7. はじめまして〜4年生クラスのフォと申します。私も銀魂が好きだよ。はじめのところはちょっとだけ詰まらないけど、「紅桜」の話しはかなり面白かったと思う。とにかく、銀魂から日本文化に対する習えるものがたくさんあるから、どんどん見てください!w

    ReplyDelete